Sunday, September 29, 2013

Caramel popcorn

This recipe was in the newspaper when I was a kid.  It was pretty time consuming back then since I actually had to POP all that popcorn.  (I have lessened the time by using microwave popcorn, with fabulous results.) For a while, we made this for every large gathering we attended.  It made so much that we hauled it around in a clean kitchen garbage bag!  I've made a few modifications to make a more manageable amount.

Here's what you'll need:
3 bags microwave popcorn
2 c brown sugar
2 sticks butter
1/2 c light corn syrup
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
pinch salt

Pop the popcorn.  Pour it into a greased or buttered bowl.  Make sure you remove any unpopped kernels.


In large sauce pan combine sugar, butter and corn syrup.


Bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Remove from heat.  Stir in baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.  Be very careful with this step.  The baking soda causes the caramel to expand, and since this stuff is molten lava, you could get a pretty nasty burn.


Preheat oven to 200.  Grease or butter 2 sheet pans.  Set aside.

Pour the caramel over the popped corn.  Stir quickly to thoroughly cover all the kernels with the caramel before it cools.  Avoid getting it on your skin.  My sister once accidentally poured it on my hand, trying to help me.  It burned like all get out!  Then, she put it in cold water, causing the caramel to seize.  I lived to tell about it, with no scar.  I'd like you to, too.


Spread the popcorn on the prepared trays.  Bake for one hour; stirring once.


The caramel will harden as it cools.  Keep stirring it as it cools to break it into smaller pieces.  Store in an air-tight container when completely cool.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment